Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

whats cooking?

I have not shared what's been cooking for a while, probably because I have been recyclying our staple meals, I am not overly inspired.


Turkey Chile:

Red chile powder, cumin, pinto beans, onions, tons of veggies (we like carrots and zucchini), ground turkey, tomato paste and stock. This is Taylor's new favorite soup.

Italian Sausage and Veggie Soup:


Sorry for the old picture taken with my phone.  This used to be Taylor's favorite soup.  I make it with turkey Italian sausage, onions, carrots and zucchini (again), a can of tomato paste, a can of tomato sauce, chicken stock and pasta.  While this pictures does not show it, I cook the noodles separately and add them when I serve the soup so they do not get over cooked when I reheat it later in the week.  I serve it with red pepper flakes and Parmesan.  If you have picky eaters you can puree the veggies, the soup will get thicker and your kids will have no idea how many veggies they are getting.

Chicken Tacos:


Roast chicken breast with red chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and olive oil, then shred it for the tacos.  I serve them with avocado and salsa.  I like to cook extra chicken for another meal later in the week.

My version of Chicken Pho:


I was stuck at home with sick kids so I had time to make stock, but you could use store bought and add ginger, basil, Chinese five spice, fish sauce, lime and a touch of agave or sugar.  When broth is well flavored add chicken and rice noodles.  Top it with cilantro, basil, jalapenos, bean sprouts, lime and sriracha.

Random Salad:


This salad had egg, jalapeno olives and Parmesan, with a balsamic vinaigrette. Protein, salt and veggies, done.

Pulled Chicken Sandwich:


I put frozen chicken breasts in my crock pot with a BBQ sauce blend.  When the chicken was cooked I shredded it and served it on a bun topped with a vinegar slaw.  I added tapatio to mine for a little spice.

Brussel Sprouts:


I made an otherwise boring meal of whole wheat pasta and hard boiled eggs,  the brussel sprouts were the best part of the meal.  We love brussel sprouts, and yes even my kids love them, Tay decided her pasta had not flavor (I could not argue with her) and decided she would just eat the sprouts.  You can check out my suggestions for cooking them here.


What are you cooking this week?


Happy cooking,

elena

4 comments:

  1. Ah, I wish I knew what I was cooking this week! I really wish I was better at that. Thanks for your comment on my blog! Great to hear from you and happy to find your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that stuff looks to good for me to be cooking that in the firehouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind words on my feature at For the Love of Blogs. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great meals there..I would love to try some chicken taco's!

    This week..well I wish I could say I have a plan..but I don't :(
    Help!!

    ReplyDelete